Prof Neo Boon Siong
Canon Professor in Business, College of Business (Nanyang Business School) Director, Asian Business Case Centre
College Dean's Office
· PhD University of Pittsburgh 1989
· MBA University of Pittsburgh 1988
· BAcc(Hons) National University of Singapore 1981
Professor Neo Boon Siong is Dean of the Nanyang Business School. He is also the Canon Endowed Chair Professor of Business and Director of the Asian Business Case Centre at NBS.
He taught at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy in the National University of Singapore (NUS) from 2006 to 2010, and is a Fellow of the Civil Service College, the Centre for Liveable Cities and the Healthcare Leadership College. He was the founder Director of the Information Management Research Centre in NTU, and the Asia Competitiveness Institute in NUS.
Prof Neo currently serves as Director on the Boards of Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Ltd, k1 Ventures Ltd, OUE REIT/Trust Management Pte Ltd, and J Lauritzen Singapore. He has previously served on the Boards of OCBC Bank, Great Eastern Life Insurance, Great Eastern Holdings Ltd, Overseas Assurance Corp Ltd, Keppel Offshore and Marine Ltd, GRP Ltd, Informatics Holding Ltd, National Computer Systems Pte Ltd, Keppel’s K1 eBiz Pte Ltd, Public Accountants Board, Securities Industry Council, Income Tax Review Board, Goods and Services Tax Review Board, Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Singapore, and the Nanyang Technological University Council.
He is a Certified Public Accountant (Singapore) and holds a Bachelor of Accountancy (Honours) from the National University of Singapore, and MBA and PhD degrees from the University of Pittsburgh, USA.
He received a Public Administration Medal (Silver) from the President of the Republic of Singapore in the 1999 National Day Honours Awards. He is the lead author of the best-selling book, Dynamic Governance: Embedding Culture, Capabilities and Change, published and launched by Singapore’s President SR Nathan in 2007. He also co-authored the book, Reconstructing Indonesia, published in 2015. His book, Exploiting IT for Business Competitiveness, was a recipient of the Highly Commended Award in the 1996 Singapore Book Awards.
He has won Best Teacher Awards and the Nanyang Education Award in NTU.
Prof Neo has 35 years of professional experience in accounting and finance, information systems, strategy, research, business consulting, management education, and corporate governance. He is a leading expert in public sector governance, business strategy, process management and organisational change. He has advised many major government institutions and business corporations, facilitated strategy workshops, and led management development programs for government leaders and global enterprises. He is a widely sought-after speaker and panellist in many international forums and workshops.
Prof Neo has taught senior public sector officials of many countries, including Africa, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Denmark, Dubai, Finland, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Laos, Latvia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mongolia, Myanmar, Russia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tatarstan, Thailand, UAE, and Vietnam.
He has served on EDB's Enterprise Development Council, Productivity and Quality Council, Singapore Institute of Management, National Community Leadership Institute, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies, and Singapore Higher Education Accreditation Council, Singapore College of Insurance, and Systems and Computer Organisation of the Ministry of Defence, IT Advisory Panel of the International Federation of Accountants, IT Policy Advisory Panel of the NCB, and the 1994/1996 National IT Awards Selection Committees. He has also served on many government committees reviewing policies and recommending changes relating to economic development, education, human capital, international trade and technology development.
His business strategy and IT management research have been published in many international journals. His paper on Business Process Innovation won the Best Overall Paper Award in the 1993 IT Works conference. His joint paper on IT Infrastructure won the Best Paper Award at the 17th Internat
· Sia Siew Kien, Neo Boon Siong.(2004). Enabling Digital Governement Through e-Services: Second Wave Reengineering in the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. In Wee Beng Geok(Ed), Government-Linked Companies and Other Organisations in SingaporeThe Asian Business Case Centre.
· Sia Siew Kien, Neo Boon Siong, Allen Tan ChengXun. (2003). Information Technology, Empowerment, and Control: An Integrative Analysis Through Panopticon. Academy of Management Meeting, Seattle.
· Sia Siew Kien, Neo Boon Siong. (2003). Enabling Digital Government through E-Services: Second-Wave Reengineering in the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.
· Sia Siew Kien, Neo Boon Siong. (2002). Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore: Managing IT-Enabled Organizational Change(Teaching case developed for Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore).
· Neo Boon Siong, Roger Hallowell, Carin Knoop. (2001). Harvard Business School Case Study on "Transforming Singapore's Public Libraries.